From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council Elections Results for term 2014-2015
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 13:04:29
1 On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 8:15 AM, Anthony G. Basile <blueness@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 07/17/14 07:49, hasufell wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Dirkjan Ochtman:
5 >>>
6 >>> On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 1:38 PM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
7 >>>>
8 >>>> Doesn't that make the vote invalid?
9 >>>
10 >>>
11 >>> I don't see why it would. Maybe if voters would have known in advance
12 >>> that their votes might be compromised.
13 >>>
14 >>
15 >> IMO, it doesn't matter if the violation had an effect on the result. It
16 >> matters that there was a violation of procedure.
19 > Unfortunately it does have an effect since council members now know who
20 > voted for them and who didn't and this can make for bad feelings,
21 > impartiality etc. I'm not sure how to deal with this since a re-vote will
22 > not make this knowledge go away. While not a perfect solution, maybe we
23 > should just try to ignore it as much as possible?
24
25 Well, we could invoke the right to be forgotten, right? Problem solved.
26
27 I think the only practical option is to try to prevent something like
28 this from happening again, but I don't what to call in the UN to
29 supervise the elections team either. Let's just move on...
30
31 Re-voting doesn't seem likely to change anything and you could always
32 debate which is the "right" outcome. That would seem like a major
33 waste of time IMHO - as it is we won't have any substantive Council
34 meetings in July, and if we do a re-vote there probably won't be
35 anything serious in August either. If we try to rush a vote in a few
36 days then there will be complaints that people didn't get a chance to
37 vote for whatever reason.
38
39 I don't have strong feelings one way or another, but I would encourage
40 pragmatism...
41
42 Rich