From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Bylaw proposal: Amend Section 4.3. Admission of Members: automatic developer membership
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 01:43:47
1 Ühel kenal päeval, N, 13.10.2016 kell 19:17, kirjutas Robin H. Johnson:
2 > On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 05:16:48AM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 > >
4 > > On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 6:30 PM, Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@gentoo.o
5 > > rg> wrote:
6 > > >
7 > > > TL;DR: move comrel, infra, PR to Foundation. Have strict(er)
8 > > > application
9 > > > of policies to them in line with their powers.
10 > > 1.  I don't think we ought to be giving more power to the
11 > > Foundation
12 > > until the Foundation membership is re-aligned with the distro
13 > > developer membership.  We essentially have two democratic
14 > > organizations with overlapping but different constituencies, and
15 > > I'm
16 > > not sure Gentoo could survive if they start trying to pull the
17 > > distro
18 > > in different directions since the community seems like it is barely
19 > > above critical mass as it is.
20 > Should we amend the bylaws such that all active developers are
21 > automatically members of the Foundation, without specifically
22 > applying?
23 > Thereafter, on developer retirement, failing to cast a vote in two
24 > consecutive elections will end their membership.
25 > Non-developers can still apply as before.
26
27 No. At least not for existing developers.
28 A foundation membership is something that someone should want to be,
29 not something that is automatically assigned, especially if not known
30 beforehand.
31
32 I have no interest in being automatically assigned to be a member of
33 some foundation, and not know any of the related legalese, benefits,
34 responsibilities, and so forth and THEN make my own decision if I want
35 that to go hand in hand with my ability to contribute to Gentoo
36 technically without going through someone else who happens to have
37 agreed to be part of a Foundation.
40 Mart