From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Comrel Improvements: Expectations of Privacy
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2016 19:47:23
1 On Monday, October 3, 2016 12:17:50 PM EDT Raymond Jennings wrote:
2 >
3 > This is important contextual information to include. Have you included
4 > this in your appeal?
5
6 I have never appealed anything. What I would appeal has never been clear.
7
8 Other than appealing the 15 day ban. Which at the time enough noise was made
9 on -core, and else where. Despite devrel's inability to deescalate the matter.
10 It was within my power to just end the matter by going away, which I did. Thus
11 no appealing the 15 day suspension. Though the appeal process may have taken
12 15 days or more, so what would have been the point?
13
14 Since the 15 days suspension it is not clear what I would be appealing to the
15 council. Would I be I appealing a decision of all of comrel/recruiting or from
16 a single member?
17
18 How does that work after appeal? Say I win, if comrel/recruiting already does
19 not like me. Having council say you must do this is not likely to make that
20 any better. Then what if comrel wants to come after me afterward?
21
22 I believe the appeal process is half baked, maybe a good concept but in
23 reality how does it work, after the fact? If a appeal is denied no problem,
24 but otherwise, problems...
25
26 > Then the council needs to be made aware of this.
27
28 It likely should have made the council and others aware. But keep something in
29 mind comrel frequently disregards. I did not want to escalate this matter. I
30 did not want to make it bigger than it was, and get any others involved. There
31 is lots of should have done, but I was trying to keep things to a minimum. The
32 entire situation spiraled out of control. Others did not seem to be able to
33 stop that, only I could by doing nothing sadly.
34
35 > I meant kicked out of the nfp list. Sorry for not being specific :P
36
37 I wasn't even kicked off that list. I just could not post for a period of
38 time. But I never knew about any of that till a post was rejected. Which is
39 why I sent a single post, of outrage and insult. The nerve to take actions
40 against a former trustee on the -nfp list.
41
42 See my comments, no one contacted me. I was not unruly in that post, nothing
43 violating CoC. Just they did not like me posting after they tried to control
44 me. I question the ban in the first place, thus every action afterward.
45 https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-nfp/message/
46 7ef33e6807214587fdb825bebe590887
47
48 After that post, I unsubscribed, never to post again. Good job devrel/comrel.
49 I hope they go to resume the work with the IRS I was doing that is still yet
50 to be done. Though Trustees have made efforts since.
51
52 > Since you have now included the context (that you were never notified
53 > of the ban), you were apparently the victim of bad communcation that
54 > accidentally set you up for a suspension you didn't actually earn.
55
56 And it continued. The ban was never removed, the 15 day suspension also was
57 never removed. Even though I resigned, these things were never done right.
58 Nothing was done per policy, not a single thing...
59
60 > With this in mind, I fully support an appeal!
61
62 Appeal to what? What took place in 2008 or stuff since?
63
64 I do not feel it is good use of the councils time to be dealing with such
65 appeals. I do not believe such situation should ever exist. The purpose of
66 comrel is to resolve matters. We should not have to rely on appeals, and I
67 doubt comrel will be happy if their decisions are overturned on appeal.
70 > Not if you were never notified of your ban from nfp in the first place.
71 > That turns this from a ban dodge to a simple accident.
72
73 It does not matter. comrel/devrel will never enforce CoC against themselves.
74 If that was the case, those harassing me citing the CoC on devrel at the time
75 would have had their own action.
76
77 I was not acting in a vaccum, and others were responsible for my behavior just
78 as much as I was, as they were participants. To punish one side is unfair, not
79 to mention going after the wrong one because others were members of devrel.
80
81 I was a trustee, if anyone has a right to post to -nfp list it was a Trustee.
82 Respect should be given to past trustees, and only in VERY extreme situations
83 should action be taken against a former Trustee. I was elected as a Trustee,
84 devrel is not elected....
85
86 > Have you pointed this out in an appeal?
87
88 No appeal, I do not see myself ever wasting time with such. Even if I knew
89 what I would be appealing specifically.
92 William L. Thomson Jr.