From: Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Comrel Improvements: Expectations of Privacy
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2016 19:17:54
1 On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 12:12 PM, William L. Thomson Jr.
2 <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Monday, October 3, 2016 11:49:19 AM EDT Raymond Jennings wrote:
4 >
5 >> In my personal opinion, you should have appealed your -nfp ban
6 >> through
7 >> proper channels. Evading a posting ban of any sort is a serious
8 >> offense. I've learned the hard way elsewhere that whether you are
9 >> banned fairly or not, defying the ban is an automatic wrong.
10 >
11 > It was not done correctly. I was not notified of the ban, only found
12 > out when a
13 > post was rejected. The ban ended up being permanent not temporary per
14 > policy.
15
16 This is important contextual information to include. Have you included
17 this in your appeal?
18
19 > Not to mention it takes some nerve to ban a just resigned Trustee
20 > from a
21 > Foundation list. That is pretty insulting. If you look at list
22 > archives. The
23 > list was dead before I stirred the pot, and then I get banned. Which
24 > it ended
25 > up mostly dying off again.
26 >
27 > At least in my case, devrel nor comrel has ever followed their own
28 > published
29 > policies. I can prove that with just about every action they took, it
30 > is fact
31 > not opinion.
32
33 Then the council needs to be made aware of this.
34
35 >> Its like getting kicked out of a sports bar for a totally bullshit
36 >> reason, like being a fan of the wrong sports team or whatever. But
37 >> no
38 >> matter how mean or wrong the bouncer was, its still his bar, and if
39 >> you
41 >> handcuffs on you and drag you to jail for trespassing. The proper
42 >> response is to contact the liquor board or the bar's owner and have
43 >> the
44 >> errant bouncer dealt with (appeal).
45 >
46 > Please stop bringing up the concept of being kicked out. That was
47 > NEVER on the
48 > table. At no time was I at risk of being kicked out or booted.
49
50 I meant kicked out of the nfp list. Sorry for not being specific :P
51
52 > The most I was facing was a 15 days suspension of no commits. I felt
53 > that was
54 > stupid, further insult after the insults to a just resigned Trustee,
55 > so I
56 > retired as a developer, against the recommendation and pleas from
57 > others.
58 >
59 > There is a big difference between someone voluntarily resigning, both
60 > as a
61 > Trustee and Developer. Than someone being kicked/removed from the
62 > project.
63 >
64 >> That said, maybe comrel was a bit too heavy handed? I don't know.
65 >> But
66 >> if I were a comrel member myself, your post would have at a minimum
67 >> earned you a formal reprimand for breaching a posting ban.
68 >
69 > The ban should never have been put into place. The one person who
70 > complained
71 > to devrel, regretted it after. Given what all devrel did, they did
72 > not want to
73 > see happen.
74
75 Since you have now included the context (that you were never notified
76 of the ban), you were apparently the victim of bad communcation that
77 accidentally set you up for a suspension you didn't actually earn.
78
79 With this in mind, I fully support an appeal!
80
81 > But again, you DO NOT ban a Foundation Trustee who just resigned from
82 > a
83 > foundation mailing list. You can go see my posts, they were not that
84 > bad. Also
85 > no action was taken against those harassing me. Because they were
86 > members of
87 > devrel....
88 >
89 > Members of devrel provoked me, caused me to get out of line, then
90 > took action
91 > after.
92 >
93 >> A 15 day ban is a finite period of time, and also far shorter than 8
94 >> years, so unless you're speaking of something beyond your 15 day ban
95 >> (and you probably are), the math here isn't adding up.
96 >
97 > I objected to the 15 day ban. I gave them a choice, 15 days, or I can
98 > just
99 > resign. That was their choice just as much as mine. But ask yourself
100 > why the
101 > 15 days? For 1 post? Does that really make sense?
102
103 Not if you were never notified of your ban from nfp in the first place.
104 That turns this from a ban dodge to a simple accident.
105
106 Have you pointed this out in an appeal?
107
108 > But all that is in the past and moot. What is the end result? Java
109 > not moving
110 > forward on Gentoo since ~2008-2010, and not having all filings in
111 > order with
112 > the IRS. Those are 2 major issues.
113 >
114 > Even if the action against me was 100% justified, which it was not.
115 > The harm
116 > done to Gentoo is substantially grater than any harm they were
117 > seeking to
118 > protect Gentoo from. Many of those involved have moved on, while
119 > Gentoo
120 > suffers and I remain. The logic?
121 >
122 >> And this is why I'm personally advocating for more recruiters.
123 >
124 > They are the gate keepers. They do not want more, its been this way
125 > for years.
126 >
127 > It is like going to Congress and having them pass terms and limits on
128 > themselves. If will never happen. Also while Council and Trustees are
129 > elected,
130 > Comrel/recruiting is not, and has no term limit. They can serve
131 > indefinitely,
132 > with little new blood, and tainting any new blood with past events.
133 >
134 > If nothing else, its likely both comrel and recruiting should be
135 > cycled out
136 > every so often. To ensure a clean slate, fresh views, etc.
137 >
138 > --
139 > William L. Thomson Jr.