From: Rich Freeman <rich@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Code of Conduct
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 13:46:08
1 On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 9:16 AM, Tomáš Chvátal <scarabeus@g.o> wrote:
2 > Thats a question, someone could correctly state that appealing mechanism
3 > member should not be involved in the first level resolution.
4
5 They could state that. There isn't anything "correct" or "incorrect"
6 about that statement as it is a statement of values, not fact.
7
8 The fact is that if the council is the judge then you don't have
9 anyone to appeal it to. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing
10 is a matter of opinion. I'm of the opinion that it is neither good or
11 bad. If the council doesn't like you they can just appoint an
12 enforcer who will bring charges against you and then uphold them on
13 appeal. If the community can't elect a decent group to govern it from
14 within its ranks, then it is basically doomed no matter what the
15 policies are.
16
17 > Because this way it can be that you actually complain about decision of a
18 > guy to the same guy.
19
20 Yup. I agree that this would be a consequence of changing the policy.
21 I think a unitary system of government makes sense for organizations
22 smaller than a few million people, and a unitary government is one in
23 which the topmost authority has absolute authority (though they can be
24 elected, and can be a board). That is how most companies and even how
25 most democracies work (the US being a noteworthy exception). The
26 routine process may be to appeal to your local zoning board before
27 going to parliament, but if for whatever reason your parliament was
28 interested they could tell the zoning board to take a hike before they
29 even make a ruling. In general this doesn't happen because
30 responsible boards don't micro-manage, and I fully support that as
31 well.
32
33 I'm not a fan of having confused lines of authority where everybody is
34 in charge and as a result things get deadlocked. I'm all for having
35 delegated authority and collaboration, and I don't want the highest
36 authority to step in on every decision. However, I don't think the
37 authority of the council should be limited in any way as it concerns
38 the governance of the non-legal aspects of Gentoo, except that they
39 stand for election. That is their mandate.
40
41 But, others feel differently, and as I said if the council doesn't
42 object to curtailing their authority, then I'll defer to them.
43
44 Rich