From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] changing the default of ACCEPT_LICENSE in portage
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 11:31:04
1 On 07/31/2013 01:27 PM, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 > Am Mittwoch 31 Juli 2013, 01:17:50 schrieb Jeroen Roovers:
3 >> On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 17:28:20 +0200
4 >>
5 >> hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
6 >>>> Gentoo has been and should remain a pragmatic distribution rather
7 >>>> than promoting a specific licensing philosophy to our users.
8 >>>
9 >>> We are already doing that by declaring:
10 >>> "Gentoo is and will remain Free Software".
11 >>
12 >> I disagree with your interpretation. This text has always been about
13 >> the software Gentoo produces, not about the distro of multi-license
14 >> packages that this software allows you to compile. So it's about the
15 >> package manager, ebuilds, eclasses, helper tools, boot scripts and so
16 >> on that the Gentoo Project authors.
19 > Actually, Jer makes a very good point here which I would like to
20 > wholeheartedly support.
21 >
22 > I have always found it a positive side of Gentoo that regarding the software
23 > which we package we focus on practicalities instead of ideology.
26 Free software is more practical and gentoo in it's very nature proves
27 that point.