From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo, GitHub, and the Social Contract
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 12:40:06
1 On Sun, 15 Feb 2015 10:55:41 +0100 Alexey Lapitsky wrote:
2 > Hi Mart,
3 >
4 > I agree with every sentence from your email.
5 >
6 > Rich made a great example about the rabbit hole. I don't think we
7 > should blindly follow the social contract.
8 >
9 > Just want to add that Github has pushed forward so many open source
10 > projects that we must ask ourselves a different question:
11 >
12 > Is Gentoo willing to say "no" to the new users, developers and the
13 > speed of development just because Github is not FOSS?
14
15 Is Gentoo willing to say "no" to the software freedom and its own
16 social obligations in order to make contributions easier in the
17 simplest way possible?
18
19 There is a fine line here: if github will turn to a main
20 development platform for Gentoo — this is way too dangerous from
21 both philosophical and practical ways.
22
23 What if github will change its policy at any random moment, e.g.
24 will kick projects or deny whole countries to contribute? What if
25 they will require payment for services at some time?
26
27 Github itself is uncontrolled by Gentoo community, this rises
28 security concerns as well.
29
30 > As Rich said, Gentoo has always been a bit pragmatic. I think it
31 > should be an easy question for any pragmatic team.
32
33 P.S. And please, don't top-post.
34
35 Best regards,