From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: Shutting down the Off the Wall (was: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items ...)
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2020 01:50:45
1 On Sat, Dec 12, 2020 at 2:23 PM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Sat, 2020-12-12 at 14:42 +0000, Roy Bamford wrote:
4 > > Now we have a council member appealing directly to council again ...
5 > > that sends the message to the community, yet again, that the
6 > > processes that council are supposed to enforce don't apply to
7 > > council
8 > > members.
9 > > Will the damage from that message ever be undone?
10 >
11 > Is this really a message sent 'by the event', or a deliberate FUD
12 > spread by people who don't like the message? Because when people start
13 > disputing the process and not the actual arguments, the message I get
14 > is 'they are right and we can't argue with that, so let's try to sweep
15 > it under the rug'. Then we get walls of meaningless text, arguments
16 > about the process, conflicts of interest, etc.
19 When a group uses their powers, IMHO, the process is important to provide a
20 justification of using said powers. Otherwise we lose faith in the
21 institution because instead of using its powers to solve problems, it uses
22 its powers in an arbitrarily and poorly justified way. This is why people
23 care about the process.
24
25 I even agree we should do something about the forum; but my expectation is
26 more messages like the one whissi wrote (where we actually attempt to
27 resolve the issue) and less the dilfridge message. I assume Dilfridge did
28 try to work with the forums-mods, but if he did it was not clear what was
29 discussed, proposed, or otherwise. If I'm a council member, what facts am I
30 supposed to use to make a decision? Certainly dilfridge's email is not
31 sufficient to really make one one way or the other...there are not enough
32 facts there to justify action IMHO. It's not even clear *who* owns the
33 problem.
34
35 If we had said "Hey forums team, you have a CoC problem in OTW, you have
36 six months to implement moderation in OTW that meets our requirements or we
37 will shut off OTW" then I think it clearly assigns the problem (ball in
38 forum-mods court) and there is a clear timeline to resolve the issue and we
39 could add more text around the actual requirements (and again if you
40 reference whissi's latest mail you see more of this information and tone.)
41 However in the previous bug report we didn't even accurately describe the
42 problem, assign it to anyone, or provide any timeline to resolution.
43
44 -A
48 > --
49 > Best regards,