From: Michael Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Questions for Gentoo Council nominees: Gentoo Foundation - Treasurer Response!
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2019 11:05:31
1 On 03/07/19 11:47, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 2:12 AM Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
3 >> At an outward glance, this does imply that some umbrellas would be
4 >> cheaper than a CPA, while others would be more expensive; but the
5 >> equation is more complicated, because we need to be careful about the
6 >> accounting of services that the umbrella would provide.
7 >>
8 >> The equation therefore should be more of:
9 >> Cost(Umbrella) vs [Umbrella baseline without umbrella-provided expenses]
10 >>
11 > You also need to consider the tax savings themselves if the umbrella
12 > is 501c3. That is also a percentage of the net (the CPA costs being
13 > deductible most likely).
14 >
15 > You also need to consider services that we would receive that we
16 > currently lack. After all, Gentoo hasn't spent a dime on CPAs for a
17 > long time, but that was hardly a true savings.
18 >
19 What makes you suggest we need the extra services that would be included by
20 an umbrella org? What services are you thinking of? If Gentoo hasn't needed
21 them the past decade, why would they be useful now? What would be the cost
22 if the Gentoo Foundation Inc procured these services separately? How does
23 this provide a cost saving? Can you prove this is therefore "better value
24 for money" if despite having less "expenses" as Robin points out, but
25 larger net income, and hence larger net fees?