From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Hiding problems, breach of Gentoo Social Contract
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2016 22:13:55
1 On Fri, 2 Dec 2016 21:52:57 +0000
2 "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
3
4 > On 02/12/16 12:36, Aaron Bauman wrote[excerpted]:
5 > > On 12/02/2016 09:10 PM, Craig Inches wrote[excerpted]:
6 > >> I realize I am not a dev, but for awhile I was actively pursuing this
7 > >> and the situation with Idella4 (who was my mentor) has made me have
8 > >> second thoughts, from the information I have been able glean about
9 > >> what occurred, and also the way his retirement was handled cause
10 > >> confusion and disillusionment with the whole process for me at least
11 > >> and I think a few non-devs from Proxy-Maint IRC channel feel the same.
12 > > Please do not let this dissuade you from becoming a Gentoo developer.
13 > > Despite the current situation and the giant books being written about
14 > > comrel, council, and others, this is not the norm. Many developers
15 > > contribute everyday with no interference or thoughts of either. Hell, I
16 > > did not even know they existed aside from the quizzes. No one focuses
17 > > on the good things they have done... that is for sure.
20 > It may come to some surprise to you (and others) that Craig is not the
21 > only prospective dev who was somewhat perplexed with the attitude
22 > towards select Gentoo Devs, who seemed, on the face of it, to be
23 > actively contributing to the Gentoo project. There were at least six of
24 > us (if not seven, possibly more) who were actively considering and
25 > pursuing becoming a Gentoo developer, who all felt that we felt uneasy
26 > about progression, not helped by the problems of a lack of active
27 > recruiters and other issues within the Recruiters project, which have
28 > hopefully now been resolved. There is a mild concern that the only
29 > remaining recruiter, may have a bias against some of the prospective
30 > recruits, as having been "tainted" by the former Gentoo Dev who was
31 > ousted from the Proxy Maintenance project. As non-devs, we have no
32 > recourse to council to ask for this to be investigated, and we don't
33 > consider ourselves to have a 'voice' to express our opinions and
34 > frustrations with the Gentoo 'system' as we observe it. It seems ironic
35 > that we are unable to influence the procedures that would help us be
36 > represented, and hence the only outlets we have are the mailing lists
37 > and third-party platforms. If anyone can suggest the correct course of
38 > action that any prospective non-dev contributor might have, I'm sure
39 > there are a few ears who would be interested in the response.
40
41 The first and most important person for a prospective developer is
42 his/her mentor. If you have a mentor, then by all means talk to him/her
43 first and he/she'll represent your case to the Council or any
44 appropriate community members.
45
46 If you don't have a mentor or feel like you need a new one, you can
47 find (another) one. Just talk to the developers you're interacted with
48 (we're not all wolves after all, even if we react bluntly to some toxic
49 people), they can become your mentors or talk to other developers.
50 There's also #gentoo-proxy-maint that's always open for new developers.
51 As a last resort, you can send a generic 'I need a mentor' message to
52 gentoo-dev.
53
54 But don't get unnecessarily involved in those flame wars that serve no
55 purpose to you. Most of the problems are better resolved peacefully.
56 And if your worries end up unfounded, it's better not to offend people
57 publicly, isn't it?
58
59 And please take into consideration that many of us are not native
60 English speakers. I find your e-mail extremely hard to understand,
61 and I'm not even sure I got it all right.
64 Best regards,
65 Michał Górny
66 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>