From: Vieri <rentorbuy@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-proxy-maint@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-proxy-maint] submitting an ebuild patch -- for beginners
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2018 22:35:17
1 On Wednesday, December 5, 2018, 11:19:38 PM GMT+1, Corentin “Nado” Pazdera <nado@××××××××××.be> wrote:
2 >
3 >> Suppose the official portage tree has an ebuild named category/package/package-1.0-r1.ebuild.
4 > You can name it,no need for mystery ;)
5
6 I was just being generic because there are several packages I'd like to change or add.
7 One of them being Samba.
8
9 > I invite you to consult the revbump article (https://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/ebuild-revisions/index.html).
10 > The fact that you should edit in place or create a revbump (copy) is not impacted by the git workflow but by the changes affecting the tree.
11 > Whats the modification you intend to do?
12
13 There's a trivial change I'd like to apply to the samba ebuilds. I'd like to restore something that was mysteriously removed years ago: pam winbind authentication configuration file.
14 More here:
15 https://bugs.gentoo.org/590374
16 and here: https://590374.bugs.gentoo.org/attachment.cgi?id=496430
17
18 This is what I did with git, but I think I messed up because maybe I should have edited the existing ebuilds instead of creating another revision (my change is not critical, does not affect in any way users using the previous ebuilds; however, it does "install additional files that could be useful to the user"):
19
20 https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/10578
21
22 Thanks,