From: davecode@××××××××××.net
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-releng] Free-standing Portage / Recent stage3 tarballs / Beta
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 04:31:21
1 Hi Gentoo-
2
3 My overall impression of Gentoo is "what a fantastic system"! I can't
4 believe how good, really. These are all fairly minor things. I'm new
5 to Gentoo, so forgive dumb ignorance, but Linux and programming are my
6 profession.
7
8 For your 2008.0 release:
9
10 The 2007.0~ppc branch fails to upgrade over a Bash / Portage block. So
11 will 2008.0 break too, until attended? A Bash / Portage conflict is the
12 worst possible.
13
14 I tried to fix it (from zsh chroot into Gentoo) but gave up. Stock
15 advice on FAQs does not work in this thorny case. Forums show
16 occasional situations between Python / Portage, too.
17
18 I do not want/ask your help, but only to share a thought:
19
20 Portage should have embedded Python and embedded Bash. Exactly the
21 versions it needs, with bare minimum required libraries, statically
22 compiled.
23
24 The Portage 'snapshot' is already a special install step. And Gentoo
25 already ships regular snapshots. The only thing missing is embedding
26 the dependencies directly.
27
28 I've never embedded Bash, but have Python, several times. Bash could
29 probably work too. The combined ELFs weigh around 2 MB total, not bad
30 for a critical executive controller like Portage which has its own
31 dedicated snapshots.
32
33 Finally - how about some recent stage3 ~arch tarballs. I can't find
34 any. Most distros do daily/weekly/monthly build snapshots. The only
35 snapshots for Gentoo seem to be Portage snapshots. Am I wrong? I know
36 the 2008.0 beta is due soon, but I mean on a continuous basis. Not
37 binary builds, just the latest ~arch tarball. If not frequent, at least
38 quarterly?
39
40 Normal ppc 2007.0 works fine from a dependency standpoint. The entire
41 reason for trying Gentoo is that ppc boxes need the absolute most
42 bleeding edge of everything. Hence the interest in Gentoo and
43 specifically ~arch. We also want the latest GNOME anyhow, plus
44 compiz-fusion.
45
46 Would it be best to wait a month until beta, or is it reasonable to
47 install ~arch right now? A few bugzilla contributions from us might
48 help the beta project but deadly bash/Portage conflicts are a little too
49 thick for my taste right now...
50
51 Thank you!
54 davecode@××××××××××.net