From: Yuri Gagarin <zthg4821@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] 2007.0 snapshot tracker restricted?
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 17:58:34
On 3/16/07, Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
> The 2007.0 snapshot is what we build the release against. It has > nothing to do with your installing a system or not, as you will want to > update your system after installation *anyway* so using a 2006.1 CD and > running an "emerge --sync" and updating world afterwards will give you > the exact same results.
Aren't Gentoo releases, such as 2007.0, a "gold seal" so to speak, denoting increased stability and QA scrutiny when compared with any randomly chosen Gentoo snapshot? This is the assumption behind my desire to base my deployment on the 2007.0 release, and it appears to be supported by the following claim on Release Engineering's project page: "This project is very much focused on ensuring that the initial quality of every official release is as high as possible, and that the "from CD" experience is as positive for as many of our users as possible." I could, as you suggest, forgo the waiting and deploy right now using 2006.1 + sync + update world, but it seems to me that would result in installations that have the least possible assurances on stability and quality, given that the number of changes made to Gentoo since the last release-quality mark, 2006.1, is near its peak. (In other words, the further from a release in terms of changes made, the less meaningful is the "gold seal" signified by that release.) Furthermore, because any issues currently holding back the 2007.0 "gold seal" are hidden from users by the restricted release tracker bug, I have no way to make an informed decision of whether or not to take my chances.