From: Brad House <brad_mssw@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-releng@l.g.o, davisjp@×××.edu
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Release Info (long and thorough)
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 22:05:53
1 > Zisofs does not work on ppc.
2
3 Would have been nice if I would have been told that not having
4 gcloop was a showstopper for ppc.
5
6 > The addition of gcloop support to genkernel is the
7 > responsibility of the genkernel maintainer, not ours.
8
9 yep, and I thought every arch was kosher with what genkernel
10 currently provided for the 2004.0 release, and it was cool
11 if gcloop was a 2004.1 thing.
12
13 > Another reason is your inability to communicate ppc64 livecd plans to
14 > me. I expect ppc64 livecds to be exactly the same as a regular ppc
15 > livecd.
16
17 Well, the bootloader is the only 'same' thing about it. And like I said,
18 amd64 != x86, just like ppc64 != ppc ... you still have yet to address
19 this.
20
21 > If I'm not mistaken you already announced ppc64 livecds on
22 > -dev, since you're also the genkernel developer, I would expect you to
23 > be qualified enough to integrate ppc livecd support yourself and allow
24 > me to spend more time on other assets important to gentoo.
25
26 The genkernel profiles will be totally different between ppc and ppc64,
27 don't know what you're talking about there. It's only the catalyst support
28 for the bootloader that will draw any similarities.
29
30 > My question
31 > about this to this list (2 feb) is still unanswered. I'll repeat it
32 > here:
33 >
34 > "Is there a possibility ppc64 could integrate ppc32 livecd support into
35 > catalyst? If I'm not mistaken brad_mssw is closely related to both
36 > ppc64, catalyst, genkernel and even amd64 for which already livecds
37 > have been created using catalyst. I guess this would speed up
38 > development enourmeously."
39
40 I announced ppc64 would be ready for 2004.1, if you plan on doing a
41 2004.0 release, you might want to do some of the work yourself. Plus,
42 I have no way to know what kernel configs a 32bit G3/G4 system would
43 need, and what kernels you all do/can use.
46 > What is scheduled to happen?
47
48 Hopefully have an initial ppc64 livecd by then end of this month for
49 pSeries, iSeries, but it will be extremely beta, and probably use
50 the 'normal' loop.
53 > Genkernel will get its ppc profile before 2004.0/ppc. For an accurate
54 > eta, I need to be able to schedule time for it.
55
56 Again, the profile is extremely trivial. It consists of only a couple
57 of files, most of which you probably already have (e.g. kernel config).
58
59 > What could help
60 > realizing that is better communication, having an idea about current
61 > plans for genkernel/catalyst, and better catalyst livecd documentation
62 > (genkernel docs are fantastic). I have asked for these on this list on
63 > the 2nd of this month in two separate emails.
64
65 I take it you're being sarcastic on the genkernel docs. But if you
66 just even took the time to glance at the profile directories that
67 are already in genkernel and the README file that comes along with
68 it I think you should be able to figure it out in less than 2 minutes.
69 If not, I really have serious questions about you.
70
71 /me feels another flame war coming on.
72
73 -Brad
76 gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list