From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] maxima-5.11.0-r1 in gentooscience.org
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 16:29:49
1 Andrey G. Grozin wrote:
2 > Hello *,
3 >
4 > I've just committed maxima-5.11.0-r1 to gentooscience.org. There are
5 > several changes as compared to 5.11.0 (inspired by fedora).
6 >
7 > maxima-5.11.0-r1 now depends on x11-misc/xdg-utils, and uses xdg-open
8 > for viewing html, ps, pdf files. Each user can configure his/her
9 > prefered browser etc. xdg-utils is proposed as a desktop standard,
10 > and, I think, should be used much more than now. Now each application
11 > which needs, e.g., to view some html files, tries to select a browser
12 > in its own way, incompatible with other applications (I know, I wrote
13 > such ebuilds myself). It is much better to depend on xdg-utils, and
14 > just to call xdg-open. Then changing $BROWSER will influence all
15 > applications uniformly.
16 >
17 > sbcl-disable-debugger.patch dropped, see
18 > http://bugzilla.redhat.com/214568
19 >
20 > I've also committed texmacs-1.0.6.8 which supports maxima-5.11.0.
21 >
22 > I think it would be good to move this to the mainline portage tree.
23 >
24 > Andrey
25 Yes, I think all versions of maxima and texmacs should both be in the
26 main tree -- isn't that why we have package masks and architecture
27 keywords??
28
29 On a related note, the Axiom ebuild in Portage is a tad old, I think.
30 Axiom now has two repositories, a "silver" and a "gold" branch. Both of
31 them have more recent source that what's in Portage. I'd recommend at
32 least getting a "gold" ebuild into Portage, probably replacing the one
33 that's in there now.
36 M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, FBG, AB, PTA, PGS, MS, MNLP, NST, ACMC(P)
37 http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/
38
39 If God had meant for carrots to be eaten cooked, He would have given rabbits fire.
42 gentoo-science@g.o mailing list