From: "CRV§ADER//KY" <crusader@××××××.it>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Secure deletion of files...
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 13:40:32
1 On Tuesday 27 April 2004 15:50, M. Steffan Noé wrote:
2 > Hello everybody
3 > I just saw the comment about THC-SecureDelete on this website
4 >
5 > http://www.thc.org/releases.php
6 >
7 > > This is the best secure data deletion toolkit! If you overwrite a file
8 > > for 10+ times, it can still be recovered. Read why and use the programs
9 > > included (w/src!). These tools can wipe files, free disk space, swap and
10 > > memory! Changes: Linux LKM for secure file deletion included, small
11 > > bufixes.
12 >
13 > and asked myself if this wouldn't be a good enhancement... inside of the
14 > linux kernel...
15 >
16 > Not only for security. I think if you delete a file with zeros you would
17 > greatly enhance compression on dd backups. As far as i know the kernel just
18 > removes the directory entry.
19 >
20 > The disadvantage of such a secure deletion would be an impact in
21 > performance i think...
22 >
23 > What do you think about that?
24 > Steffan Noé
25
26 You mean, add a mount option to use wipe instead of standard delete?
27
28 Mmmh. That wouldn't be bad to use with your /home partition, in some
29 situations in which performance is unrelevant when compared to security
30 (because you'd get an enormous performance leak).
31 I like it.
34 [] Guido Imperiale
35 [] CRV§ADER//KY
36 [] CVI.SCIENTIA.IMPERIVM
37
38 crusaderky at libero dot it
39 http://www.crusaderky.altervista.org
42 "Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est" (Knowledge is Power)
43 -- Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
44 Meditationes Sacrae, de Haeresibus
45
46 "The Net treats censorship as damage and routes around it."
47 -- John Gilmore
48
49 "I worry about my child and the Internet all the time, even though she's
50 too young to have logged on yet. Here's what I worry about. I worry that
51 10 or 15 years from now, she will come to me and say: 'Daddy, where
52 were you when they took freedom of the press away from the Internet?'"
53 -- Mike Godwin, Electronic Frontier Foundation
56 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list