From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-security] The solution and hopefully the end.
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 13:52:25
1 On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 08:53:21PM -0800 or thereabouts, Chris Haumesser wrote:
2 > Devs, what have you to lose by helping us do this? I don't think I
3 > understand the resistance, outside of the emotional reaction triggered
4 > by this thread's initiator.
5
6 The original fix suggested won't work for a number of reasons that I'm not
7 going to bother to re-hash here. I did suggest an alternate solution that
8 I think is going to work and Peter has agreed to write the code to
9 implement it.
10
11 This entire thread has been very demotivating to me as a Gentoo developer.
12 Please keep in mind that I donate my time because I enjoy what I do. I
13 think it's safe to say that all of the other developers share that same
14 motivation. If you take the enjoyment out of developing Gentoo, it's going
15 to die off rather quickly.
16
17 You can't expect to be placed on the same pedestal that a commercial vendor
18 will place you on because you, as a user, aren't providing the same value
19 (money) that you do in a traditional commercial transaction. Quite
20 frankly, a lot of the users out there are leeches who don't provide
21 anything back to the Gentoo community, but consume our software
22 nonetheless. That's fine -- I don't begrudge them because I do what I do
23 because I enjoy it. So, when taking a stand on what you feel to be an
24 important issue, keep this in mind: It does not matter if you are morally
25 right. It does not matter if the issue is serious. If you take the fun
26 out of developing this distro, Gentoo will die, period.
27
28 Anyway, enough preaching. This thread has gone on long enough. The
29 solution that's been agreeed upon is signing the daily snapshots that we
30 provide for users who can't use rsync. (/snapshots directory on your
31 favorite source mirror)
32
33 This provides the ability to verify the integrity of every single file
34 under /usr/portage/ and requires very little changes to our existing
35 infrastructure. emerge-webrsync will be hacked up to provide verification
36 support for it. I don't have any commitments from the portage devs that
37 these changes will be included (emerge-webrsync is part of portage) so this
38 may end up being an unsupported, use-at-your-own-risk solution. It does
39 not take away from or alter the plans to implement a much better, more
40 robust verification solution in portage itself.
41
42 --kurt
43
44 P.S. I do not want anyone to think that this solution is being implemented
45 because of the bitching and screaming that occurred. If someone had posted
46 a message to the list before all this broke out suggesting this solution
47 and volunteering to write the code for it, it would be in place by now.
48 That's another way of saying that we didn't have to go through all this
49 unpleasantness...