From: Joel Osburn <tjeckleberg@××××.com>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-security] Do I need to rebuild things after upgradingssl?
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 18:35:56
1 Quoting Piotr Kalinowski:
2 >The point is that apps are linked against libcrypt.so.0.9.6 for
3 instance.
4 >So when you replace it with *.so.0.9.7, the linker cannot find 0.9.6
5 >version. Dynamic linking makes it unnecessary for you to recompile
6 >everything after upgrading from 0.9.7 to 0.9.7d, because even though
7 the
8 >file version changes, it's name (or at least a name of symbolic link
9 and
10 >binary interface) doesn't change and the linker can find it, load it
11 and
12 >app can use it.
13
14 Right. So therefore the revdep-rebuild command is only useful (as
15 relates to the openssl update) if one updates from openssl-0.9.6x to the
16 0.9.7x series. And as I recall, the ebuild tells you as much.
17
18 The question I was trying to ask, though, is how to tell what is
19 *statically* compiled with a given library, openssl in this case. Those
20 will need to be recompiled *every* time there is an upgrade to the
21 library, if you want the newer version to be used. And in the case of
22 security related upgrades, you do :). An example is that people who use
23 apache-1.x with mod_ssl. Mod_ssl needs to be recompiled to use the
24 newer openssl. What else does?
25
26 -Joel Osburn
30 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list