From: Kevin van Haaren <kevin@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] System knockout :-(
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2004 17:47:43
1 Dan Podeanu wrote:
2
3 >I would never buy a Samsung HDD, as I would never buy an HP switch, or an LG
4 >mobile phone.
5 >
6 >Buy harddrives from those that do harddrives for a living (maxtor, seagata,
7 >western digital), switches from cisco, nortel, etc., mobiles from siemens,
8 >nokia, etc.
9 >
10 >Just my imho.
15 I've had hard drives from each of those manufacturers go belly up (and
16 from IBM too). And i wouldn't say siemens does mobiles for a living,
17 it's a huge company involved in everything from power
18 manufacturing/distribution to CRM systems for hotels.
19
20 My powerbook hard drive just went belly up a few days ago (i'm digging
21 to find my applecare warranty info on it.) Fortunately my e-mail (and
22 backups of all my files) is on my gentoo server, made available via the
23 convenient cyrus IMAP server.
24
25 Hmm, this brings forth the question how (and how often) do others backup
26 their systems? (perhaps should be moved from the security list, although
27 backups are an essential part of security). I've got an old OnStream
28 ADR drive I want to get working on my Gentoo server (using AMANDA) but
29 haven't had time to mess around with it lately (fatal last words I guess).
30
31 Kevin
35 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list