From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Re: Let's blow the whistle
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 18:01:41
1 On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 04:02:22PM +0100 or thereabouts, Peter Simons wrote:
2 > > I assume that you intend to 'blow the whistle' because
3 > > you are incapable or unwilling to submit a patch for the
4 > > issue yourself?
5 >
6 > If you read the recent messages carefully, you'll find that
7 > I have tried _numerous_ times to provide details how to
8 > remedy the situation.
9
10 You suggested one "solution" which is sub-optimal. When I privately
11 suggested an alternate solution that works better with the tools the devs
12 already use, scales far better and solves the problem more completely than
13 your solution does, you didn't want to hear about it. In fact, the very
14 next thing you did was post your "blow the whistle" nonsense.
15
16 You don't seem very interested in solving this problem. Instead, you seem
17 very interested in making a lot of noise.
18
19 > So why is the Gentoo team so incredibly reluctant to do
20 > anything about it?
21
22 Jason already said they were working on it and he explained why it wasn't
23 implemented yet. Please stop spreading FUD.
24
25 Why are *you* so reluctant to work on any solution other than the one you
26 came up with? Have you spent any time looking at the portage code? Do you
27 have any idea how long it would take to implement a solution using repoman?
28
29 You obviously feel quite passionately about this issue and just as
30 obviously don't like the timeframe being discussed for fixing this issue as
31 it stands. So why not take that passion and devote it to writing some
32 python code that fixes the issue? You claim you want to help Gentoo. Put
33 your code where your mouth is.
34
35 --kurt