From: dormando <dormando@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] mysql 4.1 status
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 01:34:26
1 Mind me; I haven't read up on the bugs, and this is probably a dumb
2 place to admit this.
3
4 MySQL (to me) is an one of those instances where different major
5 versions of the software serve almost different purposes. In this case I
6 believe debian got it right by having the default be the oldest
7 supported stable release, while more recent stable versions are
8 available by non-default.
9
10 Just a note, don't get too peeved,
11 -Dormando
12
13 Sancho2k.net Lists wrote:
14 > Lance Albertson wrote:
15 >
16 >>Ben Munat wrote:
20 >>>Anyone know what's taking so long to get MySQL 4.1 unmasked? I'm getting
21 >>>a lot of guff about how 4.1 has been available for over a year and it's
22 >>>the latest *stable* version version at the MySQL site. I appreciate the
23 >>>fact that the devs want to make sure it's extra, extra stable, but even
24 >>>just a rough guess when it will be ready would help. Maybe there's a dev
25 >>>lurking nearby??
28 >>The main mysql dev has been dealing with a lot of real-life issues (school,
29 >>exams, etc) and hasn't had the appropriate time to make this work. However, he
30 >>does have someone he wants to bring on board to help take care of mysql and has
31 >>been doing a great job so far. I've been following bug 83011 as things get
32 >>closer to getting into portage.
33 >>
34 >>About the unmasking... I'm not sure, 4.1 introduces a lot of migration headache
35 >>so the transition will need to have some kind of sane flow. I'm not the person
36 >>to really comment on that!
39 > Yes, consider the new dependencies for the DBD-mysql module, as well as
40 > the fact that several other applications in Portage just Don't Work with
41 > 4.1.x and later. Sometimes with Portage, it's a lot harder than just
42 > getting an updated ebuild. You have to consider the effect it has on
43 > Portage as a whole.
44 >
45 > Gentoo devs: is there any more specific testing that users can do to help?
46 >
47 > DS
48 --
49 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list