From: Collin Starkweather <gentoo@××××××××××××××××××.com>
Subject: [gentoo-server] Challenging Update Question
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 06:29:43
1 I have a server that is in need of a significant update, but it's
2 proving a challenge. I have a big picture question, then provide some
3 details below.
4
5 (I originally thought the gentoo-admin list would be the best place to
6 ask this, but based on the stats, it seems to be relatively inactive.
7 Let me know if there is a better list to ask the question on.)
8
9 Please excuse the length of the question, but as you can see, there
10 are a variety of variables in play.
11
12 The Big Picture
13 ---------------
14
15 The server has not been updated since late 2005 or so. It just runs
16 Apache, mod_perl, and an application server. So far, it has just
17 hummed along doing its work without complaint, solid as a rock, which
18 is why no one has bothered with it.
19
20 As you doubtless know, if you miss a couple of upgrade cycles with
21 Gentoo, there can be (and has been) breakage when trying to emerge -u
22 world.
23
24 There are two identical drives, and I've mirrored (manually, not RAID)
25 one onto the other.
26
27 The challenge is that the box is in the U.S. and I live in China.
28 There is no one there who can administer it; however, if something
29 goes really wrong, someone can just swap the drives and reboot. The
30 key factor is that I want this to be as low-risk as possible since
31 swapping the drives is about the extent of on-site support available.
32
33 The big picture question: Would it (1) be simpler and easier to
34 rebuild from scratch on the redundant drive, or (2) is it simpler and
35 easier to deal with the current issues updating from 2005.0 and a
36 2.4.x kernel?
37
38 The Details
39 -----------
40
41 Option (1): Rebuilding on the Redundant Drive
42
43 Pros -- It seems this would be the easiest way to do things, and I get
44 a fresh kernel and build.
45
46 Cons -- If I rebuild on the redundant drive, I lose the ability to
47 swap drives if there is breakage. Also, the application server
48 (Apache Pagekit) is solid as a rock, but a real bitch to configure.
49 Last time I tried to upgrade Pagekit, due to Apache versioning issues,
50 configuration changes, etc., it took me a full weekend. Not fun.
51
52 Option (2): Upgrading from 2005.0
53
54 Pros -- Perhaps less risky (advice on this would be appreciated!) and
55 I maintain another drive I can use to compare configurations,
56 selectively roll things back, etc.
57
58 Cons -- The gory details. When I did an emerge --sync, the
59 /etc/make.profile symlink broke. It used to point at
60
61 /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/no-nptl/2.4
62
63 which no longer exists, I suppose since the 2.4.x kernels seem to no
64 longer be supported.
65
66 So the questions that arise are:
67
68 1) Would it be less risky to upgrade from 2005.0 to 2007.0 than
69 rebuild from scratch on the redundant drive?
70 2) What is no-nptl? I don't know why the old portage profile was
71 /usr/portage/.../no-nptl. It seems to have something to do with
72 glibc-2.4. Do I still need it? Or can I just point /etc/make.profile
73 at /usr/portage/.../2007.0?
74 3) I pointed /etc/make.profile at /usr/portage/.../2007.0, and tried
75 emerge -pu world. I was told that mail-mta/qmail no longer existed
76 and is required by sudo (?!?) which is required by libapreq2. Perhaps
77 mail-mta/netqmail is the new qmail? Anyway, this gives me the
78 impression that there are deep dependencies that may have changed
79 significantly. Is this what you would (subjectively) characterize as
80 a bad sign?
81 4) What would be the best order of operations? emerge -u world, then
82 update the kernel, or update the kernel, then emerge -u world?
83 5) 2008.0 is due on March 17. Is it worthwhile putting off the
84 upgrade for 2008.0? I wouldn't want to deal with two difficult
85 upgrades if there is breakage between 2007.0 and 2008.0.
86
87 Thanks in advance,
88
89 -Collin