From: Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng@×××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Directory Tree and CounterIntuitive Usernames [Was] Re:Cyrus-Imapd
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 05:15:52
1 On Mon, 2006-03-20 at 14:37 +0100, Paul Kölle wrote:
2 > Ow Mun Heng wrote:
3 > > BTW, my setup consists of cyrus-imapd,cyrus-sasl,postfix and web-cyradm.
4 > > What do you guys use?
5 > Same config except web-cyradm. If you have specific questions maybe I
6 > can give you some hints.
7
8 Thanks. Appreciate it.
9
10 I seem to have cyrus-imapd and cyrus-sasl playing nice together with
11 web-cyradm. I guess one of the worst thing about this config is
12 understanding what is happening! There are too many users and too many
13 passwords and virtual accounts (username/loginame/email-addresses) are
14 counterintuitive.
15
16 eg: using web-cyradm's domain_as_prefix=0 (this is where all users from
17 1 specific domain is :
18
19 Domain = domain1.com
20 Domain_prefix = dom1
21 EmailAddress = user1@×××××××.com
22 username = dom1001
23
24 turns out this is created as
25 /var/spool/imap/user/dom10001
26
27 Users will have to login as dom1001. Sort of like *nix usenames, but
28 wierder for end-users.. Not Good.
29
30 Then I tried DOMAIN_AS_PREFIX=1 and unix hierarchysep:yes
31
32 Mail Spool becomes:
33 /var/spool/imap/user/u/user1^domain1^com
34
35 Username = user1.domain1.com
36 email address = user1@×××××××.com
37
38 Now, this is a bit better. But I'm worried about directory structure. It
39 really wouldn't be _that_ hard to admin as long as I use the web-cyradm
40 interface (so I don't get confused between who's who). However, this
41 would mean the mail spool directory will be all mixed up.
42
43 Isn't there a way to do something like
44
45 /var/spool/imap/domain/domain1.com/user1 ??
46
47 I've yet to try out virtdomain:userid in cyrus. I wonder if that will
48 make a difference.
49
50 [... testing ...]
51 Nope. Doesn't make a difference.
52
53 So.. any ideas?
54
55 > What bugs me most wrt cyrus ATM is backup,
56 > specifically backup of the berkeley db stuff and restore of individual
57 > mailboxes and coresponding metadata Maybe we could work something
58 > out..., what would be the hook in gentoo for such tasks, eselect?
59
60 Right now, I have my hands full trying to get it work. :-)
64 Ow Mun Heng
65 Gentoo/Linux on DELL D600 1.4Ghz 1.5GB RAM
66 98% Microsoft(tm) Free!!
67 Neuromancer 12:50:18 up 1 day, 4:13, 9 users, load average: 0.45, 0.49,
68 0.68
72 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list