From: Andrea Ferraris <andrea_ferraris@××××××.it>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] which ftp-server
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 22:39:39
1 Hi,
2
3 > Hmm, giving it a quick shot in Mozilla, it doesn't appear to... but I
4 > might be doing something wrong. I never really think about using
5 > browsers to access ftp. I just use the command line or an app like
6 > filezilla. However, I haven't had need of an ftp server that provides
7 > anonymous web-based access (like for code downloads)... something which
8 > may change soon enough... so, I'll be remembering pureftp and proftp...
9 > Is one easier to setup and maintain than the other?
10
11 I don't think that sftp could allow access via a web browser and I
12 think that a web browser can access also non anonymously to an
13 ftp site managed by proftpd or pure-ftpd and also by ssl. I'm not
14 100% sure, because I don't have direct and recent experience about
15 that, but I think that could be like that.
16
17 I don't know if one is easier to setup and maintain than the other,
18 but maybe, if I don't remember bad, there was a webmin module
19 for proftpd (you could verify on the webmin site). I don't know if
20 there are a similar module for pure-ftp, but I saw that at the home
21 page of pure-ftp there are a program to manage the software.
22 If you don't receive more and more convincing replies, I advice
23 you to go to the sites of the two software to see how is the
24 documentation and if there are some software to setup and maintain
25 the two ones.
26
27 For sure a program that you can use to manage both, is vi ;-)
28
29 Andrea