From: Timo Veith <tv@×××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] "restart daemon" notification
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 23:08:41
1 Hi all,
2
3 there was a message or a thread on a gentoo list for which I am
4 searching. I already tried some keywords on google and on
5 http://www.mail-archive.com, bu had no luck. Maybe some here can remember.
6
7 It was about updating software and figuring out whether a certain daemon
8 has to be restarted because libs could have changed or even binary of
9 the daemon itself was overwritten etc. IIRC it was a combination of
10 commands. lsof could be one of them but I am not sure. If nobody
11 remembers such a message, maybe you can help me writing a script for
12 that? I would start with something like "for every process do check if
13 every shared library still exists" or so.
14
15 I think this is an issue which should be taken care of by ebuild
16 maintainers. Not that emerge should do a restart but maybe a einfo
17 message? I mean it may not always be obvious because which and how many
18 rc-scripts are to be fired up with "restart". I don't have a good
19 example right now. Maybe clamav? It has two parts ...
20
21 Thanks in advance
22
23 Timo