From: EBo <ebo@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Weekly Report: Portage Powered Android
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2020 02:37:26
1 On Jun 30 2020 3:42 PM, Gunwant Jain wrote:
2 > On 20/06/29 03:27PM, EBo wrote:
3 >> Getting everything set up to move forward is sometimes the hardest
4 >> thing...
5 >> You will have to discuss this with your mentor, but a few posts in
6 >> some
7 >> appropriate indexed forum would be very useful for others. Also, if
8 >> you can
9 >> document what steps you went through to make it work. Speaking for
10 >> myself,
11 >> once I get something like this to work I start off with a clean
12 >> dir/disk and
13 >> follow my notes step by step so that I know I did not miss anything
14 >> when
15 >> writing it all down.
16 >
17 > I am not quite sure what you mean by using a forum for posts, if it
18 > is
19 > regarding having a public announcement of sorts, I plan to do it when
20 > we
21 > finish implemententing the basic idea of SharkBait.
22 > I agree that documenting will play a crucial role in my journey. And
23 > for
24 > that I had set up a personal blog earlier [1]. I am actively writing
25 > new
26 > blogs, thoroughly explaining whatever I do from scratch.
27
28 There are many places that people post questions/answers. I know of
29 one group that almost exclusively use StackOverflow. Others various
30 gentoo forums (see: https://forums.gentoo.org/). It is really up to you
31 and your preferences. That said it needs to be indexed and searchable.
32 Can you guarantee that your personal blog be around for the next decade
33 (a reasonable life expectancy for such a project)? I am simply
34 suggesting posting overviews/FAQ's in venues that we can expect to have
35 around for many years and be searchable by google, etc.
36
37 > I am also open to any suggestions to a better medium you might have
38 > for
39 > the documentation.
40
41 I have to be very careful here. Even moderately decent documentation
42 is a LOT of work, and I know of people literally writing documents full
43 time for very good pay. I could make some suggestions, and it could
44 take so much time and derail other efforts that would be your mentor's
45 priority. I do not want to cause any issues by interjecting comments
46 from time to time. Also, it will be months or more before I will have
47 enough breakout time to give this a real shot for install/use.