From: EBo <ebo@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] We need your ideas for the Google Summer of Code
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 18:00:31
1 On Feb 21 2014 9:02 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 8:28 AM, Anthony G. Basile
3 > <blueness@g.o> wrote:
4 >> On 02/20/2014 03:00 PM, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 08:37:59PM +0100, Michał Górny wrote:
7 >>>>
8 >>>> You may try to get net-misc/netifrc systemd-compatible. But I
9 >>>> don't
10 >>>> know if it's GSoC-size task.
11 >>>
12 >>> Yes, I think it is a GSoC-size task, but would be best suited to
13 >>> somebody considerable shell skills.
14 >>>
15 >>> I would be willing to mentor such a person, because I have
16 >>> considered
17 >>> doing this myself, but am short on time for it.
18 >>>
19 >> I have to agree with Robin here, I don't think its that trivial.
20 >> There is a
21 >> *lot* of networking configurations, all of which would have to be
22 >> bashed up.
23 >> I wouldn't want to mentor such a project, but I would like to watch
24 >> from the
25 >> sidelines and would be will to test/help.
26 >
27 > I don't profess to have closely investigated, but I take it that it
28 > wouldn't make sense to just use networkd instead? It seems to me
29 > that
30 > configuring a network isn't exactly a Gentoo-specific problem.
31
32 That is what I had set up before, which is either incompatible with
33 systemd or I mucked thigs up as part of the transition.
34
35 Speaking for my own situation I have been running the machine for
36 several years on the basic install, and 8 years with Gentoo on that
37 machine. I am looking at replacing both the laptop and home server for
38 age, and this would "encourage me" to start with a clean install. The
39 real question for Gentoo/GSoC is the future directions of Arch-Linux,
40 its relation to Gentoo (if any), and what should we do to start moving
41 in appropriate directions before it becomes necessary...
42
43 EBo --