From: Jason Williams <jason.b.williams@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo Sparc <gentoo-sparc@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-sparc] 2.6 kernel development
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 01:14:48
It seems to me that there's a problem in cooperation between
distributions that port the linux kernel to sparc. The reason I say
this is, I run a very stable web/mail server on a sparc at work that
is running debian with a 2.6.8 kernel. However, in gentoo I've not
been able to get a 2.6 kernel that's currently in portage running,
much less stable.

The dilemma here is that I much prefer gentoo sparc in every other
respect than the kernel (well maybe speed of getting a running system,
but that I understand and am willing to deal with - that's gentoo in
general;-). Why is it that their 2.6 kernel is so great while gentoo's
is so unstable?

Anyways, that said, I have a question. Since the debian sparc 2.6
kernel seems so stable is there any reason why I can't just take their
source tree and compile it in gentoo? It seems to me that this would
be the best solution to my dilemma. It'd essentially just be a way of
taking advantage of their one advantage over gentoo sparc.