From: Alex Buell <alex.buell@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] GWN "Want ad" for sparc architecture testers
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 10:05:46
On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 14:49:10 +0000, I waved a wand and this message
magically appears in front of Ferris McCormick:

> > As for there being a lack of a Java VM on sparc, if anyone's > > working on porting Sun's JVM, I can help with testing the builds. > > Supposedly, this is very hard to hopeless (according to sun). There > are more promising alternatives, such as jamvm or perhaps cacao. I > have played a bit with jamvm, and I think it could be made to work. > It's mostly a matter of figuring out what order the arguments to a > couple macros which are used for test-and-swap are given, and making > a few memcopy macros work right. I've had it running; just not quite > correctly.
I thknk gcj could do the job just as well. It can compile to bytecode.
> jamvm (or something like it) would make a very nice project. Sun java > would probably not (I think sun have it on their to-do list, but > considered long-term and difficult).
I think it's enormously vital that Sun get off their butts and do something about it - porting the linuxintel version to linuxsparc should work. I've actually dug around in the jvm sources and they do have some assembly in various places. These would have to be rewritten for the sparc platform.