From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] Official SPARC64 Port
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2016 17:45:00
1 On 29 Jan 2016 19:55, Alex McWhirter wrote:
2 > On 01/29/2016 07:44 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > On 29 Jan 2016 19:28, Alex McWhirter wrote:
4 > >> Regarding the issue with pcitutils, it is indeed and issue with gold. It
5 > >> turns out udev is broken as well, as in it wont start.
6 > >>
7 > >> binutils has supposedly fixed this issue upstream, i may try to emerge
8 > >> 9999 later tonight. perhaps eudev fairs a bit better than udev? Would
9 > >> there be any issue with moving to eudev as a default?
10 > >
11 > > arches should not be picking any defaults like udev. we should be using
12 > > the same default across all linux systems. especially if the only point
13 > > is to workaround a bug in gold.
14 > >
15 > > is the fix in binutils-2.26 ? that's going into the tree in a bit ...
16 > > i'm waiting for some feedback from upstream before i push it.
17 >
18 > I can check to see if the fix is in .26, but eudev does work without
19 > issue for what it's worth. pciutils is also compiling without issue with
20 > eudev.
21 >
22 > I will try pulling 9999 and see if the issue is no longer there, if it's
23 > been resolved there then ill check into .26
24 >
25 > Without that fix, sparc64 is probably a no-go. I suppose we could always
26 > patch .25 if needed.
27
28 why ? as i said, gold is not the default, and we don't hold up issues
29 because of gold compatibility. if sparc64 w/ld.bfd works fine, then
30 that's all we need.
31 -mike