From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-trustees@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-trustees] copyright stuff
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 20:18:05
1 On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 12:37:26PM -0700, Deedra Waters wrote:
2 > I want to start this out as a small discussion to start with and take it
3 > to core once i get a general idea of how people feel.
4 >
5 > What i want to know from you all is do we really want to have/deal with
6 > the copyright stuff?
7 >
8 > My feeling is that while copyrights are/can be a good thing, i'm
9 > starting to think that with the major differences that's in our
10 > developer base, that we're not going to get a complete copyright doc
11 > that everyone can and will be able to handle. Some countries can't sign
12 > over copyrights, while we have devs that are under the legal age to sign
13 > documents.
14
15 True about the age, but not true about not being able to transfer
16 copyrights. We are talking about transferrable rights here, not moral
17 rights.
18
19 I still feel that a copyright assignment is the best option if we can not
20 have the copyright available for both parties (i.e. both the developer /and/
21 the foundation can take action against copyright violations). Having dual
22 copyrights is more troublesome than full copyright assignment, since full
23 copyright assignment is probably listed in all relevant laws (Copyright Act
24 in the USA, Auteursrecht in Belgium, etc.) while dual copyright is more
25 something exotic.
26
27 Another possibility is an exclusive license. With an exclusive license, the
28 Foundation can protect the code (take appropriate measures, ...) while the
29 original author still retains the copyright. The drawback is that the
30 original author can not use the code beyond what the Foundation and the
31 contract (= the license) sais ("exclusive" license).
32
33 But, back to the why's: I do feel that we need to have this protection.
34 With the copyright (or exclusive license) in the Foundation's hands,
35 Gentoo's code is completely contained within the project. We are then able
36 to protect ourselves in case of copyright violations.
37
38 Unless I am mistaken, copyright violations are the only reason why we would
39 want copyright assignment (it is not the Foundation's intention to change
40 license; as a matter of fact, we explicitly made clear that we will never
41 change license). Yet copyright violations are a big issue.
42
43 One frequent violation is removing the creditation given on the code (or
44 documentation). That may seem small, but for a free software/documentation
45 contribution, it is very important to the contributor. What good is the
46 code/documentation to the contributor if no-one knows he did it?
47
48 Other violations are for instance modifications without making the changes
49 open (case of GPL), using the code/documentation as part of a different,
50 non-free work, etc.
51
52 Wkr,
53 Sven Vermeulen
56 Documentation project leader - Gentoo Foundation Trustee
57
58 The Gentoo Project <<< http://www.gentoo.org >>>