From: Bo Andresen <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE and OpenOffice keyboard problems
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 18:08:28
1 On Wednesday 03 May 2006 17:26, Dave Jones wrote:
2 > I've tried with the kcontrol Regional Keyboard settings enabled and
3 > disabled. No difference. The quote keys work only with AltGr pressed
4 > in OOo, but work normally in all other applications.
5 >
6 > I tried using XkbModel to pc105 to see if the Logitech Cordless Desktop
7 > Pro XkbModel was causing the odd effect. However, changing that did not
8 > change the weird quote keys kb behaviour either.
9 >
10 > If anything, the Regional Keyboard setting make the problem worse,
11 > affecting other applications too, so I disabled it again.
12
13 The us_intl keyboard layout is shown in [1]. Your problem related to the red
14 (i.e. dead) keys to the left of Enter, right? I have changed to that layout
15 now (with no KDE override) and it seems to work the way it should here now.
16 I'm not sure it did before I changed the contents of /etc/conf.d/keymaps.
17 What does this show?
18
19 # grep -vr '^#\|^$' /etc/conf.d/keymaps
20
21 [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout#US-International
22
23 Since the keys are dead you do have to press them twice in order to just get a
24 single or double quote. If followed by a letter are able to produce accents
25 (ó) or umlauts (ö) instead. And just for the record. I can produce a ç now. I
26 don't seem to have any issues. But still a haven't tested with a broad range
27 of programs. ;)
28
29 > As far as I know, I'm not using UTF-8.
30
31 You are not.
32
33 [SNIP]
34
35 > Maybe it's not an UTF-8 issue as Jerônimo suggested it might be, but I'm
36 > baffled by this odd kb behaviour showing only in OOo under KDE.
37 >
38 > Could you please show the output of locale and locale -a on your system?
39
40 Sure.
41
42 # locale
43 LANG=
44 LC_CTYPE="en_US.utf8"
45 LC_NUMERIC="en_US.utf8"
46 LC_TIME="en_US.utf8"
47 LC_COLLATE="en_US.utf8"
48 LC_MONETARY="en_US.utf8"
49 LC_MESSAGES="en_US.utf8"
50 LC_PAPER="en_US.utf8"
51 LC_NAME="en_US.utf8"
52 LC_ADDRESS="en_US.utf8"
53 LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.utf8"
54 LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.utf8"
55 LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.utf8"
56 LC_ALL=en_US.utf8
57
58 # locale -a
59 C
60 da_DK
61 en_DK
62 en_DK.iso88591
63 en_DK.utf8
64 en_GB
65 en_GB.ansix341968
66 en_GB.iso88591
67 en_US
68 en_US.utf8
69 POSIX
70
71 But I don't really think this is the problem.
74 Bo Andresen