From: Dave Jones <Dave.Jones@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE and OpenOffice keyboard problems
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 15:32:21
1 Bo Andresen wrote on 05/03/06 16:06:
2 >>>> <snip> KDE has issues with UTF-8 and certain keboard layouts.
3
4 >>>What kind of issues? Admittedly I have not tested KDE throughly but I
5 >>>have been using KDE with UTF-8 for a few months now and I have
6 >>>experienced no issues.
7
8 >>This came out of my original question about having problems with typing
9 >>accented characters into OpenOffice documents under KDE 3.4.3.
10
11 >>The problem is that I need to press AltGr and the quote character to
12 >>obtain a quote. This makes it impossible to enter accented characters
13 >>into an OOo document.
14
15 >>Section "InputDevice"
16 >> Identifier "Keyboard0"
17 >> Driver "kbd"
18 >> Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
19 >> Option "CoreKeyboard"
20 >> Option "XkbModel" "logicdp"
21 >> Option "XkbLayout" "us_intl"
22 >>EndSection
23
24 >>Using this xorg.conf set-up, I can enter the accented characters into
25 >>all other applications apart from OOo under KDE.
26
27 >>OOo works fine under IceWM, so I'd guess that it's a KDE issue.
28
29 > I still don't see that it has got anything to do with UFT-8. My X
30 > configuration looks like this:
31
32 > Section "InputDevice"
33 > Identifier "Keyboard1"
34 > Driver "kbd"
35 > Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
36 > Option "CoreKeyboard"
37 > Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
38 > Option "XkbLayout" "dk"
39 > EndSection
40
41 > In kcontrol - Regional & Accessibility - Keyboard Layout there is a box called
42 > "Enable keyboards layouts". This overrides the X settings. So if it works in
43 > IceWM just disable it. That's what I did. And I have no problems with any of
44 > those characters (áàéèíìóòöuúù¤'") in Openoffice either.
45
46 I've tried with the kcontrol Regional Keyboard settings enabled and
47 disabled. No difference. The quote keys work only with AltGr pressed
48 in OOo, but work normally in all other applications.
49
50 I tried using XkbModel to pc105 to see if the Logitech Cordless Desktop
51 Pro XkbModel was causing the odd effect. However, changing that did not
52 change the weird quote keys kb behaviour either.
53
54 If anything, the Regional Keyboard setting make the problem worse,
55 affecting other applications too, so I disabled it again.
56
57 As far as I know, I'm not using UTF-8.
58
59 Here's the output of locale
60
61 LANG=
62 LC_CTYPE="POSIX"
63 LC_NUMERIC="POSIX"
64 LC_TIME="POSIX"
65 LC_COLLATE="POSIX"
66 LC_MONETARY="POSIX"
67 LC_MESSAGES="POSIX"
68 LC_PAPER="POSIX"
69 LC_NAME="POSIX"
70 LC_ADDRESS="POSIX"
71 LC_TELEPHONE="POSIX"
72 LC_MEASUREMENT="POSIX"
73 LC_IDENTIFICATION="POSIX"
74 LC_ALL=
75
76 and locale -a
77
78 C
79 POSIX
80 en_GB
81 en_GB.iso885915
82 en_GB.utf8
83 en_US
84 en_US.iso885915
85 en_US.utf8
86
87 Maybe it's not an UTF-8 issue as Jerônimo suggested it might be, but I'm
88 baffled by this odd kb behaviour showing only in OOo under KDE.
89
90 Could you please show the output of locale and locale -a on your system?
91
92 Cheers, Dave.
93 --
94 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list