From: Bo Andresen <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE and OpenOffice keyboard problems
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 14:17:46
1 On Wednesday 03 May 2006 15:13, Dave Jones wrote:
2 > Bo Andresen wrote on 05/03/06 14:31:
3 > > On Wednesday 03 May 2006 00:04, Jerônimo Backes wrote:
4 > >>Oh, I forgot to mention: DON'T use UTF-8 with KDE if you need to use
5 > >>some special keyboard layouts. Stay with ISO-8859-1 (the default
6 > >>encoding). KDE has issues with UTF-8 and certain keboard layouts.
7 > >
8 > > What kind of issues? Admittedly I have not tested KDE throughly but I
9 > > have been using KDE with UTF-8 for a few months now and I have
10 > > experienced no issues. There are programs that don't understand UTF-8 on
11 > > my system (e.g. kompare) but I believe most og my KDE programs do
12 > > understand UTF-8 (e.g. kontact, konquerer, konsole..).
13 >
14 > This came out of my original question about having problems with typing
15 > accented characters into OpenOffice documents under KDE 3.4.3.
16 >
17 > The problem is that I need to press AltGr and the quote character to
18 > obtain a quote. This makes it impossible to enter accented characters
19 > into an OOo document.
20 >
21 > Section "InputDevice"
22 > Identifier "Keyboard0"
23 > Driver "kbd"
24 > Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
25 > Option "CoreKeyboard"
26 > Option "XkbModel" "logicdp"
27 > Option "XkbLayout" "us_intl"
28 > EndSection
29 >
30 > Using this xorg.conf set-up, I can enter the accented characters into
31 > all other applications apart from OOo under KDE.
32 >
33 > OOo works fine under IceWM, so I'd guess that it's a KDE issue.
34
35 I still don't see that it has got anything to do with UFT-8. My X
36 configuration looks like this:
37
38 Section "InputDevice"
39 Identifier "Keyboard1"
40 Driver "kbd"
41 Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
42 Option "CoreKeyboard"
43 Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
44 Option "XkbLayout" "dk"
45 EndSection
46
47 In kcontrol - Regional & Accessibility - Keyboard Layout there is a box called
48 "Enable keyboards layouts". This overrides the X settings. So if it works in
49 IceWM just disable it. That's what I did. And I have no problems with any of
50 those characters (áàéèíìóòöuúù€'") in Openoffice either.
53 Bo Andresen