From: Dave Jones <Dave.Jones@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE and OpenOffice keyboard problems
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 13:20:27
1 Bo Andresen wrote on 05/03/06 14:31:
2
3 > On Wednesday 03 May 2006 00:04, Jerônimo Backes wrote:
4
5 >>Oh, I forgot to mention: DON'T use UTF-8 with KDE if you need to use
6 >>some special keyboard layouts. Stay with ISO-8859-1 (the default
7 >>encoding). KDE has issues with UTF-8 and certain keboard layouts.
8
9 > What kind of issues? Admittedly I have not tested KDE throughly but I have
10 > been using KDE with UTF-8 for a few months now and I have experienced no
11 > issues. There are programs that don't understand UTF-8 on my system (e.g.
12 > kompare) but I believe most og my KDE programs do understand UTF-8 (e.g.
13 > kontact, konquerer, konsole..).
14
15 This came out of my original question about having problems with typing
16 accented characters into OpenOffice documents under KDE 3.4.3.
17
18 The problem is that I need to press AltGr and the quote character to
19 obtain a quote. This makes it impossible to enter accented characters
20 into an OOo document.
21
22 Section "InputDevice"
23 Identifier "Keyboard0"
24 Driver "kbd"
25 Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
26 Option "CoreKeyboard"
27 Option "XkbModel" "logicdp"
28 Option "XkbLayout" "us_intl"
29 EndSection
30
31 Using this xorg.conf set-up, I can enter the accented characters into
32 all other applications apart from OOo under KDE.
33
34 OOo works fine under IceWM, so I'd guess that it's a KDE issue.
35
36 Cheers, Dave
37 --
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list