From: "John J. Foster" <Gentoo-User@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub passwords - how do I limit OS selection?
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 00:06:29
1 On Sun, Jul 30, 2006 at 04:49:42PM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On 7/30/06, John J. Foster <Gentoo-User@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > Thanks very much. It's a great solution for what I need.
4 >
5 > It does limit the use of Windows, which is what I wanted, until the
6 > password is typed in. Once typed in it also seems to allow changing
7 > the boot time options on Linux, but in my son's case I'm not the least
8 > bit worried he's going to try anything there.
9 >
10 Mark - from
11
12 http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Security
13
14 You can also use the command password instead of lock. In this case the
15 boot process will ask for the password and stop if it was entered
16 incorrectly. Since the password takes its own PASSWORD argument this is
17 useful if you want different passwords for different entries.
20 Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.