From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Any way of tracing kernel freezes?
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 14:07:56
1 On 13/06/13 16:47, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > recently my netbook got the habit of freezing sporadically. [...]
3 >[...]
4 > I ran a memtest a few months back and stopped it after 8 successful
5 > passes. I might try that again as soon as I find out how¹, but I'd
6 > think that a corrupt memory would cause something different than a full
7 > freeze.
8
9 It usually manifests in segfaults that seem to come at random. But it's
10 still worth a shot. It's very easy. Emerge "sys-apps/memtest86+" and
11 add this grub entry:
12
13 title=Memtest86+
14 root (hd0,0)
15 kernel /boot/memtest86plus/memtest.bin
16
17 (Adapt the "hd0,0" of course to be the same disk as the one you're using
18 to boot your kernel.)
19
20 That's it. Now your boot menu will include a "Memtest86+" option. This
21 is for grub 1 though. If you migrated to grub 2 by now, then I don't
22 know how that boot entry would look like. I suspect it will be some
23 300-line monstrosity or something :-|