From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Update blocked by kdebase-startkde:4
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2016 02:45:22
1 On 07/09/2016 07:08 PM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Thanks Dan. I tried your package.mask and thought I was getting somewhere. But
3 > I had to add these to package.use (I have USE=-qt5 in make.conf):
4 >
5 > sys-auth/polkit-qt qt5
6 > dev-libs/libdbusmenu-qt qt5
7 > media-libs/phonon qt5
8 > media-libs/phonon-vlc qt5
9 >
10 > Then I had to remove >kde-apps/kdebase-runtime-meta-4.15 from package.mask to
11 > satisfy "(dependency required by "kde-base/kdebase-startkde-4.11.22::gentoo"
12 > [ebuild])". Guess what? Of course - it wanted to install the whole set of qt5
13 > packages.
14 >
15 > So I'm still stuck. I don't want to go to KDE-5 until I can find a way to
16 > reduce the absurd amount of vertical space occupied by every line of text. It
17 > will still be ugly, but at least more manageable.
18 >
19 > I've attached screen shots of qt4 and qt5 versions of KMail to show what I
20 > mean. The qt5 version is as close as I can get to the qt4.
23 I just tried and no luck here either. I made that list back in April
24 when plasma made my machine unusable (hence the "might not work now"
25 comment.) It's been several months now but I really don't want to go and
26 try plasma again and waste days trying to get my machine usable again.
27 I'm just not going to do any updates (and I guess I should do a stage4
28 backup in case I have to restore...)
29
30 Right now my machine is nice and stable. What I don't understand is that
31 plasma clearly isn't ready for primetime yet (IMHO) yet it seems KDE4 is
32 not installable on Gentoo anymore.
33
34 I did try many things trying to get plasma working but everything I
35 tried had no results. Plasma would crash even if you didn't do anything
36 (no keyboard or mouse input.)
37
38 Dan