From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Update blocked by kdebase-startkde:4
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2016 02:09:01
1 On Saturday 09 Jul 2016 16:30:18 Daniel Frey wrote:
2 > On 07/09/2016 03:40 PM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > In fact I tried the separate masking. It led on to having to treat
4 > > kde-plasma and kde-frameworks similarly, and before I knew it I was
5 > > unmasking a load of packages that don't belong in a KDE-4 system.
6 > >
7 > > What to try next?
8 >
9 > When I tried plasma and it crashed every 10 seconds I reverted and
10 > manually masked all packages >4.15.
11 >
12 > I figure eventually the instability will go away but decided to leave it
13 > for another year or so. Heck, I may never update again. ;-) I like
14 > having a desktop that just works.
15 >
16 > I haven't tried updating recently (some months because I don't want to
17 > deal with the plasma stuff now) though, so I don't know if it still works.
18 >
19 > I've attached my package.mask if you want to try it. Talk about try to
20 > solve updates with a sledgehammer though...
21 >
22 > I think you'll also have to remove wallpapers in order to make portage
23 > happy about conflicts:
24 >
25 > [/etc/portage/package.use]
26 > kde-base/kdebase-startkde -wallpapers
27 > kde-apps/kdebase-meta -wallpapers
28 >
29 > (Yes, it took forever to do that manually.)
30 >
31 > I suspect it will probably not work now but it'll be a starting point if
32 > you want to try this method. Maybe all you'll have to do is adjust some
33 > versions?
34
35 Thanks Dan. I tried your package.mask and thought I was getting somewhere. But
36 I had to add these to package.use (I have USE=-qt5 in make.conf):
37
38 sys-auth/polkit-qt qt5
39 dev-libs/libdbusmenu-qt qt5
40 media-libs/phonon qt5
41 media-libs/phonon-vlc qt5
42
43 Then I had to remove >kde-apps/kdebase-runtime-meta-4.15 from package.mask to
44 satisfy "(dependency required by "kde-base/kdebase-startkde-4.11.22::gentoo"
45 [ebuild])". Guess what? Of course - it wanted to install the whole set of qt5
46 packages.
47
48 So I'm still stuck. I don't want to go to KDE-5 until I can find a way to
49 reduce the absurd amount of vertical space occupied by every line of text. It
50 will still be ugly, but at least more manageable.
51
52 I've attached screen shots of qt4 and qt5 versions of KMail to show what I
53 mean. The qt5 version is as close as I can get to the qt4.
56 Rgds
57 Peter

mail-folders-qt4.png image/png
mail-folders-qt5.png image/png