From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Update blocked by kdebase-startkde:4
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2016 23:30:35
1 On 07/09/2016 03:40 PM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 >
3 > In fact I tried the separate masking. It led on to having to treat kde-plasma
4 > and kde-frameworks similarly, and before I knew it I was unmasking a load of
5 > packages that don't belong in a KDE-4 system.
6 >
7 > What to try next?
10 When I tried plasma and it crashed every 10 seconds I reverted and
11 manually masked all packages >4.15.
12
13 I figure eventually the instability will go away but decided to leave it
14 for another year or so. Heck, I may never update again. ;-) I like
15 having a desktop that just works.
16
17 I haven't tried updating recently (some months because I don't want to
18 deal with the plasma stuff now) though, so I don't know if it still works.
19
20 I've attached my package.mask if you want to try it. Talk about try to
21 solve updates with a sledgehammer though...
22
23 I think you'll also have to remove wallpapers in order to make portage
24 happy about conflicts:
25
26 [/etc/portage/package.use]
27 kde-base/kdebase-startkde -wallpapers
28 kde-apps/kdebase-meta -wallpapers
29
30 (Yes, it took forever to do that manually.)
31
32 I suspect it will probably not work now but it'll be a starting point if
33 you want to try this method. Maybe all you'll have to do is adjust some
34 versions?
35
36 Dan

package.mask text/plain