From: Urs Schutz <u.schutz@×××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] merging or fitting images together
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 23:33:07
1 On Mon, 14 May 2012 22:50:33 -0400
2 Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > I tried Hugin, but got nowhere. I set 6 points on each
5 > picture, which are 2 overlapping parts of a single
6 > original negative, but all it offered was a black screen;
7 > I did follow the on-line help.
8 >
9 > Then I tried Imagemagick & got a good result after a bit
10 > of fussing. The commands I used were
11 >
12 > convert -size 1000x760 canvas:black brum-canvas.jpg
13 > composite -geometry +0+0 brum-3070.jpg brum-canvas.jpg
14 > brum-1.jpg composite -geometry +220-8 brum-3068.jpg
15 > brum-1.jpg brum-2.jpg
16 >
17 > You can see the images at
18 > http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~purslow/test/ : they are of
19 > trams in Colmore Row, Birmingham in May 1953 .
20 >
21 > I still need to light/darken 1 image a bit to hide the
22 > join, but as a proof of concept this shows it's feasible
23 > with Imagemagick.
24 >
25 > Any further advice re Hugin is welcome: can anyone do it
26 > with these photos ?
29 I just tried with fotoxx: This is a semi-manual process, but
30 I liked the resulting image. The joint is less visible
31 than on brum-2.jpg. It was easy to do an "unbend" after
32 merging, and therefore the clock and the face on the image
33 borders stay in the image. This was my first try to do a
34 panorama in fotoxx, and it took me less than 5 minutes,
35 much faster than with hugin. If you like I send you the
36 image to your private mail.
37
38 Urs