From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How often -uD world?
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 08:31:40
1 On Thursday 10 September 2009 09:58:37 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > On Donnerstag 10 September 2009, Maxim Wexler wrote:
3 > > HI group,
4 > >
5 > > My netbook has only (4+8)G of sketchy SSD + SDHC RAM for everything
6 > > and I am determined not to emerge anything I don't really need.
7 > >
8 > > But now that I'm mobile I have the capability of doing a -uD world
9 > > whenever it's required without having to take days of dialup time.
10 > >
11 > > Question is, when's that? I assume with fewer packages, updating is
12 > > not as urgent as on a big desktop with lots of HD space and lots of
13 > > apps.
14 > >
15 > > Is there some sort of rule-of-thumb when it comes to timing or spacing
16 > > their updates that members use to keep gentoo happy?
17 > >
18 > > Maxim
19 >
20 > I do 'it' every morning. I am still tired, eix-sync, when I come back with
21 > my tea, I see the updates, emerge -auvD world, ready when the sugar is in
22 > the tea. Checking the list. Drinking some of the tea and contemplating the
23 > updates, then 'y'. when I am ready to rock, the updates are done.
24
25 Same here, except in my case:
26
27 s/tea/triple espresso/g
28
29 But I doubt the wisdom of updating an SSD netbook on the machine itself:
30
31 1. Wear on the SSD itself with all those compiles
32 2. It's sloooooow
33
34 Maybe wait for Neil Bothwick to show up and ask him for the gory details - he
35 seems to have gotten it down pat on his Eee.
36
37 I know for myself, I made the conscious decision for Gentoo on my desktop and
38 notebook but the Aspire One runs Ubuntu Remix for this very reason.
41 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com