From: Mark Stapper <stark@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How often -uD world?
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 08:53:29
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Thursday 10 September 2009 09:58:37 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Donnerstag 10 September 2009, Maxim Wexler wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> HI group,
7 >>>
8 >>> My netbook has only (4+8)G of sketchy SSD + SDHC RAM for everything
9 >>> and I am determined not to emerge anything I don't really need.
10 >>>
11 >>> But now that I'm mobile I have the capability of doing a -uD world
12 >>> whenever it's required without having to take days of dialup time.
13 >>>
14 >>> Question is, when's that? I assume with fewer packages, updating is
15 >>> not as urgent as on a big desktop with lots of HD space and lots of
16 >>> apps.
17 >>>
18 >>> Is there some sort of rule-of-thumb when it comes to timing or spacing
19 >>> their updates that members use to keep gentoo happy?
20 >>>
21 >>> Maxim
22 >>>
23 >> I do 'it' every morning. I am still tired, eix-sync, when I come back with
24 >> my tea, I see the updates, emerge -auvD world, ready when the sugar is in
25 >> the tea. Checking the list. Drinking some of the tea and contemplating the
26 >> updates, then 'y'. when I am ready to rock, the updates are done.
29 > Same here, except in my case:
30 >
31 > s/tea/triple espresso/g
32 >
33 > But I doubt the wisdom of updating an SSD netbook on the machine itself:
34 >
35 > 1. Wear on the SSD itself with all those compiles
36 > 2. It's sloooooow
37 >
38 > Maybe wait for Neil Bothwick to show up and ask him for the gory details - he
39 > seems to have gotten it down pat on his Eee.
40 >
41 > I know for myself, I made the conscious decision for Gentoo on my desktop and
42 > notebook but the Aspire One runs Ubuntu Remix for this very reason.
45 Two notes:
46 1. Don't compile of of you SSD! You can use external storage, like a USB
47 HDD or nfs share to build (put your portage_tmpdir and /usr/portage on)
48 2. Don't change a winning team! If your kernel run's smoothly with no
49 weird glutches in drivers, leave it be. Only update if you want new
50 features.
51 Just my 2p's worth
52 Greetz,
53 Mark