From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo on a cell?
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2020 03:10:58
1 On 2/24/20 5:10 PM, n952162 wrote:
2 >
3 > On 2020-02-24 23:00, james wrote:
4 >> On 2/24/20 4:33 PM, n952162 wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> On 2020-02-24 22:18, james wrote:
7 >>>> On 2/24/20 3:55 PM, n952162 wrote:
8 >>>>> what do you see 5G providing that 4G couldn't deliver?
9 >>>>>
10 >>>>> On 2020-02-21 00:38, james wrote:
11 >>>>>> 5G CAN change everything! Gentoo should blaze the open source pathway
12 >>>>>> of contributions and WE all should dream, build and get control of
13 >>>>>> our
14 >>>>>> country back!
15 >>>>>>
16 >>>>>>
17 >>>>>> 5G may be our last chance before Satan rules via consolidating all
18 >>>>>> the
19 >>>>>> large governments! 5G is our last chance, imho, for citizens to get
20 >>>>>> control of their respective countries back. Stand or die, as the
21 >>>>>> plagues of the last days, are just around the corner. Gentoo saves
22 >>>>>> the
23 >>>>>> world? Sound like a good movie for someone to make.....
24 >>>>>
25 >>>>
26 >>>> That is simple and complex.
27 >>>> simple??? more bandwidth, lower latencies in the silicon,
28 >>>> and many advances that are hard to leverage with 4G limitations.
29 >>>>
30 >>>
31 >>> Can you list some examples of these advances, beyond throughput and
32 >>> latency improvements?
33 >>
34 >> Can, yes. Going to, nope. Things are still 'fluid' even in the
35 >> standard and rules governing 5G. Right now, ALL are encouraged to
36 >> experiment and party. The major carriers are moving to drastically
37 >> limit entrepreneurship in all things 5G.? Just look at the myriad of
38 >> failures with Verizon. They are the poster-child of way carriers are
39 >> the last folks on the earth that need to be 'architecting' the furture
40 >> of 5G.
41 >>
42 >> Not to mention they will sell out any country, in a heartbeat.
45 > 5G is from the 3gpp organization, which is basically a European
46 > organization.? Who cares about Verizon?? CDMA - America's attempt to
47 > answer 3gpp -? was a bust.? If by /drastically/ "limit
48 > entrepreneurship", you mean to open access to the network (as opposed to
49 > using it as a (rented) utensil), then I can only wonder who you are.
54 "James" is my moniker, look through the gentoo records.
55
56 I disagree. I know a few savant EEs that are building the chip sets. 5G
57 is more about what is inside the gallium Arsenide. What you allude to is
58 the 'cover story' of what 5G is.
59
60 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallium_arsenide
63 5G is much more about what's inside the chip sets, as opposed to
64 government edicts. That's why the USA woke up and said no to china,
65 selling 5G chip sets in the USA. Folks are building processors and
66 memory inside the Gallium Arsenide. Surely France and Germany have GA
67 chipset capabilities as do China, Russia and others.
70 So now it seems that the Co-founder of Mirantis Boris Renski is all
71 about open source, 5G:
72
73 "Mirantis co-founder to create open-source 5G startup"
76 https://www.zdnet.com/article/mirantis-co-founder-leaves-to-create-open-source-5g-startup/
79 More folks are getting the 5G 'shared bandwidth' concept:
80
81 https://www.zdnet.com/article/shared-spectrum-whats-next-and-why-it-matters-for-businesses/
82
83 So gentoo will have reference codes to include in gentoo-arm buildouts?
86 "But, now that the FCC has opened up the 3.5 GHz Citizens Broadband
87 Radio Service (CBRS) band, there's room for new open-source based
88 companies to offer 4G LTE and eventually 5G voice and data. Renski will
89 be one of its pioneers."
92 All I'm trying to say, is this. GENTOO has numerous trees/stacks
93 running on arm, as arm is the basis processor for most cell phones,
94 currently. (embedded gentoo). I'm excited about gentoo pushing a cell
95 phone stack out, even it's clandestinely called another distro,
96 leveraging the Gentoo codes, ebuilds and low level stacks.... OUR
97 community is awesome!
100 I'm just not convinced that our USA government continuing to "sell
101 bandwidth rights", is constitutional?
104 So Bandwidth utilization efficiencies would skyrocket, already
105 mathematically proven and via numerous studies and tests, if the
106 bandwidth was 'open' to all legal and non-nefarious communications
107 companies and their visionary activities. 5G is the tech battleground,
108 of this decade, imho. 5G can ignite a commercial resonance here in the
109 USA, and elsewhere, if allowed to be opened up to startups. Selling
110 bandwidth to companies like Verizon, is a very, very bad idea. WE can
111 reverse this selling of RF frequency domain space, very very easily.
112 Technically, it's a done deal. Financially and legally,
113 it's going to take a constitutional amendment, to get it to 'stick'.
116 A myriad of small companies, could easily figure out how to offer
117 cost-effective communications, if allowed to compete. High prices of
118 limited RF spectrum is a massive cost-barrier-to-entry. Very-Large Mega
119 corps, just stick their hand out to the government, requiring ever
120 increasing sums of money, just to pretend to be offering real
121 communications solutions. The government needs to start fining large
122 corporations for security breaches, and limiting their rights to
123 build/sell more services, until they are proven to be secure. Why do you
124 think that MS windows continues to suck at security? Much more money,
125 as they see the lack of security, as a cash-cow.
128 I'd just like to see (maybe several) gentoo centric stacks, that support
129 5G and the myriad of yet-to-be-disclosed hardware features. I'll bet
130 that would bring in many new astute coders into the gentoo fold. ymmv.
133 sincerely,
134 James