From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo on a cell?
Date: Sat, 29 Feb 2020 09:44:21
1 On 26/02/20 03:10, james wrote:
2 > I'm just not convinced that our USA government continuing to "sell
3 > bandwidth rights", is constitutional?
4
5 Problem is, if bandwidth is "opened to all" the reality in the past
6 would have been a free-for-all leading to a major tragedy of the
7 commons. Much like we're seeing in space and low-earth orbit now. If
8 we're not *very* careful, soon we will not be able to launch low-earth
9 and geo-synchronous satellites, because there'll be a massive debris
10 belt that will destroy satellites within a few years.
11
12 The new high-frequency bandwidths I'm not too worried about - like
13 low-earth orbit stuff there will decay into the atmosphere and
14 self-cleanse over 30-40 years - high frequencies don't travel far - but
15 where there is the likelihood of interference some sort of regulation is
16 necessary.
17
18 Do you really want your home network to collapse in a heap every time
19 your neighbour jacks up his power because your network is causing his
20 home network to collapse in a heap? (That's why my home network is
21 mostly cat-5 or ethernet-over-power :-)
22
23 Cheers,
24 Wol