From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Call for opinions and/or use cases regarding games.eclass
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2016 15:34:43
1 On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 10:39 AM, Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > I would not miss it, but I now that I am at last done with the
4 > migration, and I have a bunch of games installed that are very important
5 > to me, I am afraid of the potential new burden of transitioning to a
6 > state where games are ordinary programs, even if such state would be
7 > beautiful, clean, simple, etc.
10 A fair concern, but unless you have scripts/etc that are directly
11 parsing games files I don't see much impact here. The main impact is
12 that the file locations in /usr would change, and you'd no longer need
13 to be in the games group to run them. If you do have scripts/etc that
14 touch games files then you'd need to edit some paths inside. Being in
15 the games group wouldn't hurt anything.
16
17 If there are games where you had to install some file off of an
18 original install CD (like map data/etc where Gentoo is only providing
19 the engine) then you might need to re-install things to the proper
20 place. I'm not sure if we still have anything like that in the tree,
21 or where we typically direct users to install such things. I think
22 that in those situations it probably wouldn't hurt to have NEWS or
23 ELOG/etc as appropriate. If save states are getting moved ideally
24 ebuilds should be tweaked to take care of that.
27 Rich