From: Andrea Conti <alyf@××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USERDIR problem with apache on new install (SOLVED)
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 06:44:40
1 Hello,
2
3 > I put in a symlink /home -> /local/allan/gottlieb
4 > so that programs looking in /home would be happy.
5 > I had /etc/passwd say /local/allan/gottlieb since it is the real
6 > directory.
7 >
8 > apache doesn't like this. There is probably an option to let it do this
9 > since it has several options on symlinks
10
11 It's not about liking... mod_userdir automatically maps a URL in the
12 form ~/foo onto user foo's home dir, as it is recorded in the system's
13 user database. If you put /local/allan/gottlieb there, apache tries to
14 serve files directly from /local/allan/gottlieb.
15
16 The default mod_userdir configuration
17 (/etc/apache2/modules.d/00_mod_userdir.conf, of which you pasted an
18 excerpt in the other email) only sets an "Allow from all" for
19 directories in the form "/home/*/public_html", which does not include
20 anything under /local.
21
22 You can either change your home directory, or add
23
24 <Directory /local/allan/gottlieb>
25 Order allow,deny
26 Allow from all
27
28 [whatever other options you need]
29 </Directory>
30
31 in the apache config for the virtualhost you're using.
32
33 As for the "FollowSymlinks" and "SymlinksIfOwnerMatch" options, I'm not
34 sure they apply here: they should only affect whether the server follows
35 symlinks *within* the document root, not symlinks in the path *leading
36 to* the document root.
37
38 andrea