From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] This nite's switch to "full multilib"
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 09:13:36
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 30/03/2015 00:10, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
3 >> Am 29.03.2015 um 20:16 schrieb Alan McKinnon:
4 >>
5 >>>> I have to do that for 195 ebuilds here and really wonder if that is
6 >>>> correct in the end ....
7 >>>
8 >>>
9 >>> It's a horrible solution, you are right. The problem is that it's not
10 >>> your 32 bit apps that have to be listed, it's all the libs and deps they
11 >>> have that need 32 bit versions to be built.
12 >>>
13 >>> If you have a fast cpu, much disk space and don't care about using some
14 >>> extra resources, you can always add USE="abi_xx86_32" to make.conf and
15 >>> make it global. Every package that supports building 32 bit versions
16 >>> will then be recompiled.
17 >> Is that as it is meant to be or some not-so-ideal-switch that will soon
18 >> get some polishing?
19 >>
20 >> IMO I shouldn't have to list hundreds of packages (I had to add more and
21 >> more) in some non-default-list ... even when I decide to run unstable
22 >> (~amd64).
23 >>
24 >> My main system isn't that special at all, gnome, systemd, libreoffice,
25 >> thunderbird, some browsers ...
26 >>
27 >> Stuff like that makes me really wonder if I spend too much of my life
28 >> time struggling with doing *updates*
29 >>
30 >> I like Gentoo, you all know, but things like that scare me off a bit.
31 > This is Gentoo, it's all about choice. Sometimes there's a downside,
32 > like a very long package.use to define to Portage exactly what your
33 > choice really is.
34 >
35 > Setting the flag globally is covered in today's news item on the matter,
36 > so I assume the devs are supporting it
41 Dang. I had to add about 90 packages to my package.use and some more to
42 the keyword file.
43
44 I wonder if make.conf would be better in my case too? My use file just
45 grew my a huge amount.
46
47 Dale
48