From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] This nite's switch to "full multilib"
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2015 22:51:37
1 On 30/03/2015 00:10, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
2 > Am 29.03.2015 um 20:16 schrieb Alan McKinnon:
3 >
4 >>> I have to do that for 195 ebuilds here and really wonder if that is
5 >>> correct in the end ....
9 >> It's a horrible solution, you are right. The problem is that it's not
10 >> your 32 bit apps that have to be listed, it's all the libs and deps they
11 >> have that need 32 bit versions to be built.
12 >>
13 >> If you have a fast cpu, much disk space and don't care about using some
14 >> extra resources, you can always add USE="abi_xx86_32" to make.conf and
15 >> make it global. Every package that supports building 32 bit versions
16 >> will then be recompiled.
17 >
18 > Is that as it is meant to be or some not-so-ideal-switch that will soon
19 > get some polishing?
20 >
21 > IMO I shouldn't have to list hundreds of packages (I had to add more and
22 > more) in some non-default-list ... even when I decide to run unstable
23 > (~amd64).
24 >
25 > My main system isn't that special at all, gnome, systemd, libreoffice,
26 > thunderbird, some browsers ...
27 >
28 > Stuff like that makes me really wonder if I spend too much of my life
29 > time struggling with doing *updates*
30 >
31 > I like Gentoo, you all know, but things like that scare me off a bit.
32
33 This is Gentoo, it's all about choice. Sometimes there's a downside,
34 like a very long package.use to define to Portage exactly what your
35 choice really is.
36
37 Setting the flag globally is covered in today's news item on the matter,
38 so I assume the devs are supporting it
42 Alan McKinnon
43 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com