From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] hp H222 SAS controller
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2013 07:29:41
1 Am 03.07.2013 00:42, schrieb Paul Hartman:
2 > On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 2:56 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Does anyone use that controller with gentoo?
5 >>
6 >> If yes, which driver/module does support it?
7 >>
8 >> I ordered one for a server and did not really check the facts ;-)
9 >
10 > Looks like it uses the LSI SAS2008 chipset (basically LSI controller
11 > with HP branding), so you should enable kernel module mpt2sas
12 > (CONFIG_SCSI_MPT2SAS) and probably some other SAS-related options will
13 > be required as well if you don't already use them.
14 >
15 > I actually just installed a card with this same chipset in my Gentoo
16 > machine yesterday! I have not attached disks to it yet, as I am
17 > waiting for the enclosure to be delivered, but so far nothing froze or
18 > burst into flames when the module loaded. :) I even upgraded the BIOS
19 > and firmware on the card from within linux and everything seems okay,
20 > so far.
21
22 Thanks a lot, Paul, for that feedback. Seems that you will be the first
23 to really test it, my box will arrive next week, I assume. This will be
24 an installation from scratch so no SAS-related stuff there already.
25
26 I wonder if it makes sense to attach the disks to that adapter as well?
27 This box will do amanda backups ... so there will be the amanda holding
28 disk and it is important to have maximum speed between that holding area
29 and the tape drive. I plan RAID1 on 2x2TB disks at least or maybe even
30 RAID0 (it's a rather temporary storage area so the redundancy isn't that
31 important). Testing will show!
32
33 Greets, Stefan